BDC SEEKS NEW DIRECTOR OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
PLEASE READ THE OFFICIAL BDC POSTING BROCHURE HERE ON HOW TO APPLY
DIRECTOR OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
The position is the lead professional staff for organizing, overseeing and carrying out the City economic development program for the City of Batavia and the Batavia Development Corporation (BDC). This includes working with the business and development community and other organizations involved in local economic development to carry out an annual work program consistent with the City’s economic development goals and priorities. The position will provide technical assistance to businesses, developers and other organizations and will represent the city on planning and community and economic development matters. Position will assist with grant writing and grant administration responsibilities and work with the BDC to market and manage its funding and financial assistance programs. It will work with City departments and agencies to further the City’s economic development goals and priorities. Work is performed under the general direction of the Board of the BDC.
The Batavia Development Corporation is a 501(c)(3) made up of 10 volunteer members that either live in the City of Batavia or work in the City. The City Manager assigns a representative who is an ex-officio voting member. The position is a non-voting position that works with the board to set direction and priorities for the organization.
Experience and Education
- Masters Degree from an accredited college or university and two (2)+ years of professional experience in planning , economic development, or private development is desired
- Bachelor’s degree with (3)+ years of professional experience in municipal or private economic development is desired
- An equivalent combination of training and/or experience as defined by the limits of (a) and (b).
- Plan, directs and carries out activities as part of the City’s economic development program consistent with an annual work plan;
- Develop policies and programs for the City’s community and economic development functions to enhance economic growth of the city with specific focus on small business expansion, industrial and mixed-use development, and downtown revitalization;
- Provide staff assistance to the BDC, including marketing and administering its business assistance programs;
- Develop and implements programs and activities to retain and expand the commercial and industrial tax base and attract new businesses to the city;
- Act as project manager for special and ongoing planning projects, including strategic planning, business retention.
- Assist as needed with grant administration that foster economic development, including Community Development Block Grant programs, and other Federal and State programs;
- Represent the interests of the City with local, regional and state organizations;
- Coordinate the City’s economic development activities with existing State and Federal agencies and with local public and private development organizations;
- Provides information and technical assistance on planning and development as requested by City officials, City departments, businesses and others.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Thorough knowledge of the principals, methods and techniques used in economic development, municipal planning and marketing and promotional activities;
Knowledge of urban economics, real estate and private development;
Good knowledge of the sources of funding available for economic development and community planning projects;
Thorough knowledge of the principals and practices of preparing grant applications and administering and managing grant programs;
Ability to understand, interpret and analyze complex and detailed written material and quantitative data;
Ability to prepare and deliver presentations in a clear, concise and articulate manner;
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Ability to be our lead individual in working with other public and private organization to enhance the economic environment of the City of Batavia.
TO APPLY, PLEASE READ THE BDC POSTING BORCHURE FOR INSTRUCTIONS